5 members of a family burnt in city ,2 already dead

5 members of a family burnt in city ,2 already dead


A 15-year old boy and his 18-month old brother, two of the family of five who got burnt in a fire at their home at Dhaka’s Uttara on Friday, have died at Dhaka Medical College Hospital.Shahalin Bin Shahnewaz and his little brother Jayan Bin Shahnewaz passed away at around 5:15pm and 6:15pm, respectively, at the hospital’s burns unit.

Five members of a family, including two children, sustained life threatening burn injuries when a gas stove went up in flames suddenly at a house in the city’s Uttara area on Friday morning.

The injured–Shahnewaz, 50, an employee of American Embassy, his wife Sumaiya, 40, their three sons–Shalil, 15, Zarf, 11, and 14-month-old Zaran–were rushed to the burn unit of Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH).

Of them, Shahnewaz received 95 percent burn injuries while Sumaiya received 90 percent wounds, Shalil 88 percent, Zarif 11 percent and Zaran 74 percent burn injuries.

Mozammel Haq, in-charge of DMCH police camp, quoting the victims’ relatives, said the fire erupted on impact at their kitchen on the sixth floor of the seven-storey building while someone was lighting the gas burner around 6:45 am, leaving the five severely burnt.


Comments are closed.