Eight shops were burnt to ashes in a devastating fire at a market in Kathalia upazila of the district early Wednesday.
Locals said the fire originated from an electric short circuit at Munshirabad Bazar, burning down eight shops in the market.
On information, a firefighting unit from Kathalia fire service rushed to the spot.
The firefighters, with the help of locals, brought the fire under control after two hours of frantic efforts.
Nine people were injured while trying to douse the blaze. The extent of damage caused by the fire could go up to Tk20 lakh.-UNB