Australia anti-terror police arrest two in Sydney

Australia anti-terror police arrest two in Sydney

0

Austalian aniti-terrorism police has arrested two persons in Sydney.  One of the suspects was charged with breaching a control order.
The arrests were related to a series of counter-terrorism raids in September, officials said.
They come after Australia’s prime minister said there had been heightened “terror chatter” since a cafe siege in Sydney last week.That saw gunman Man Haron Monis, a self-styled cleric originally from Iran, take 17 people hostage in a cafe in the city centre. A 16-hour siege followed, during which two hostages and Haron Monis were killed.
On Wednesday, Australian Federal Police Deputy Commissioner Michael Phelan said the man arrested on the terrorism charge, 20-year-old Sulayman Khalid, had documents that mentioned potential government targets.
“I am confident that we’ve disrupted the activity that they were planning,” he said.
But he added: “There is nothing that indicates at all that [there were]any specific targets or time frame in relation to this particular activity at all.”
Mr Khalid, who did not apply for bail, could face up to 15 years in prison if convicted. The 21-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was also denied bail.
Judges can issue control orders against persons of interest in criminal cases, imposing restrictions on them. The 21-year-old man had breached an order preventing him from accessing certain forms of telecommunications. – BBC News

Share.
Loading...

Comments are closed.