At least 15 hardware shops including a go down and a house were burnt to ashes at Kurigram bazzar under Kurigram municipality at dead of night on Tuesday.
The fire was originated from an electric short circuit and the loss was estimated at Tk. five crore. Three firemen were injured while they tried to bring the fire under control. The injured firemen are Shah Alam who was admitted in Kurigram Sadar Hospital, Abdul Kuddus and Humaiun Kabir. According to Fire Service and Civil Defense and local sources, a fire originated with an electric short circuit from a shop of the market at around 12:30 am on the night.Hearing information of the fire incident, firemen of Fire Service and Civil Defense in Kurigram rushed to the spot at 12:45 am and called fire brigades of Nageswari upazila, Ulipur upazila and Lalmonirhat district headquarter fire service stations. A total of four units of fire service fought to control the situation at a time. The chemicals and sprit of color touched with fire causing the fire flame speeded rapidly.After frantic efforts of five hours the fire was under control.Sultan Ahmed, Owner of Sheuli Hardware of the market told New Nation all of the goods worth of about Taka 20 lakh of the
shop were burnt to ashes in my shop. Police forces were deployed there.Shirajul Islam Tarafder, Deputy Assistant Director (DAD) of Kurigram fire.Deputy Commissoner(D.C) of Kurigram ABM Azad visited the spot on Tuesday at 09.00am.Kurigram Correspondent