Formal surrender of Sundarban’s ‘Master Bahini’ postponed

Formal surrender of Sundarban’s ‘Master Bahini’ postponed

0

Bagerhat – The formal surrender of infamous forest robber gang ‘Master Bahini’ has been postponed due to inclement weather, Unb news agency reported.
Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan and Director General of Rapid Action Battalion (Rab) Benazir Ahmed were scheduled to attend the surrender event at Mongla on Sunday, said Rab sources.However, the home minister could not attend the programme due to inclement weather, leading to the postponement of the formal surrender.
A fresh date for surrender will be announced soon, said Lt Col Md Faridul Alam, commanding officer of Rab-8.
Earlier in the morning, the Rab official had told reporters that Mostafa Sheikh alias Kader Master, ringleader of infamous forest robber gang ‘Master Bahini’ based in the Sundarbans, along with seven other robbers surrendered to the Rab-8 in Charputia area of Mongla upazila in the early hours.
They also handed over 51 firearms and over 5,000 bullets, he had said.
The seven other robbers are — Mohammad Sultan Khan, 58, Mohammad Sohagh Akon, 37, Mohammad Fazlu Sheikh, 35, Mohammad Solaiman Sheikh, 28, Mohammad Shahin Sheikh, 28, and Mohammad Sumon Sarker, 34.
Sources said Mostafa hailing from Rampal upazila in Bagerhat district formed the gang ‘Master Bahini’ several years ago.
They used to attack trawlers of fishermen, Bawali (golpata and wood cutters) and Mawali (honey collectors) and abduct fishermen for ransom in deep forests of the Sundarbans.
Lt Col Md Faridul Alam of RAB- 8 said it has become very tough to commit robbery in the Sundarbans as Rab has increased its regular drives.
Earlier, Khulna Rab-6 in a press release said the infamous robber gang would surrender and hand over their arms in presence of the Home Minister in Mongla on Sunday noon.

Share.
Loading...

Comments are closed.