Gulshan attack masterminds identified: DMP chief

Gulshan attack masterminds identified: DMP chief


Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) commissioner Md Asaduzzaman Mia on Sunday said the masterminds of Gulshan café attack have been identified and they will be arrested soon.“Those behind the planning have been identified and now it’s a matter of time to arrest them. We’ve information about those involved in the attack and how they carried out the attack,” said the DMP chief while talking to reporters at his office.

“The law enforcement agencies are conducting drives based on some specific information, and they’ll be brought to book soon as some important evidence have been seized,” he said.Mentioning that detectives have already questioned several people in connection with the Holey Artisan Bakery attack, Asaduzzaman said there have been remarkable progresses in the probe.The investigators have found that homegrown militants were involved in the attack, he said, adding: “Those who tried to create anarchy through arson attacks and burning people to death in the recent past and those carried out the Gulshan attack belong to the same group.”About the collection of tenant information in the city, he said the DMP has distributed around 20 lakh forms among landlords and house owners to collect tenant information. “So far, around 18 lakh forms have been submitted to local police stations,” he said.Police are making door-to-door visits to scrutinise those information, the DMP Commissioner said.He also urged the city dwellers who have not yet filled up the tenant information forms to do so and submit those to their respective police stations immediately as those are required to build a digital security system, warning of legal action if otherwise.About the arrest of two house owners — one from Shewrapara and another from Bashundhara Residential Area – Asaduzzaman said they were arrested as they did not provide information of the Gulshan café attackers, who were staying at their flats as tenants, to the local police stations. “We’ve been carrying out investigation whether they hid the information deliberately,” he said.On July 1, gunmen stormed Gulshan’s Holey Artisan Bakery and took guests and employees hostage. Twenty bodies, including nine of Italians and seven Japanese nationals, were recovered from the crime scene the following day.The crisis ended following an army-led joint forces’ operation – ‘Operation Thunderbolt’. Two policemen and six militants, of whom one later appeared to be a staff of the Bakery who might have not been involved in the attack, were also killed.


Comments are closed.