The High Court (HC) on Monday disposed of a revision petition filed seeking further investigation into the sensational seven-murder incident of Narayanganj,An HC bench comprising Justice M Enayetur Rahim and Justice Amir Hossain passed the order of disposal of the ‘criminal revision petition’ filed by Selina Hossain Beauty, wife of slain councillor Nazrul Islam, seeking further investigation into the incident.
The court said that the investigation officer (IO) of the case has legal rights to hold further investigation into the case.
The court also said there is no need for passing any directives for further investigation into the case.
Advocate Abdul Baset Majumdar stood for the petitioner while deputy attorney general Sheikh AKM Maniruzzaman Kabir represented the state.
Earlier on November 23, Selina Hossain filed the ‘criminal revision petition’ with the High Court seeking further investigation into the sensational seven-murder incident.
During hearing on December 1, Justice Enayetur Rahim mentioned that there is a serious error in the chargesheet submitted by detectives in the sensational seven-murder cases of Narayanganj.
On April 27, 2014, Narayanganj panel mayor Nazrul Islam, his three associates and driver were abducted by miscreants from Fatullah area of Narayanganj. At the same time, senior lawyer at district Judge’s Court Chandan Kumar Sarker and his driver were also abducted on their way to capital Dhaka.
Three days into their abduction, the bodies of six people, including those of Nazrul and Chandan Kumar, were recovered from the Shitalakhya River on April 30 in the same year. The following day, the body of Jahangir, car driver of Nazrul Islam, was also recovered from the river.
Selina Islam filed a case against six people while Advocate Chandan Sarker’s son-in-law filed another case.
On April 8 this year, detectives pressed charges against 35 people, including three sacked Rapid Action Battalion officials — Lt Col Tareque Sayeed Mohammad, Major Arif Hossain and Lt Commander MM Rana– and Nur Hossain, in connection with the seven murders.
On May 11, Selina Islam filed a ‘naraji petition’ expressing her dissatisfaction over the exclusion of the names of five FIR-enlisted accused from the chargesheet. However, the court on November 9 rejected the petition.
On July 8, a Narayanganj court accepted the chargesheet in the two cases filed in connection with the sensational seven murders.