International Crimes Tribunal (ICT)-2 issued a rule against Awami League advisory council member Suranjit Sengupta seeking clarification of his remarks over war crimes trial.
A three-member ICT-2 led by Justice Obaidul Hasan issued the suo-moto rule on Monday. The respondent was asked to explain the matter by January 2.
Earlier on Saturday, Suranjit also a minister without portfolio, said in an AL rally that top 14 war accused who are under trial, would be tried by 2013.
In the programme, Suranjit also said, “The criminals would be awarded death sentence and the verdict also would be executed by the next year.”
The tribunal in its rule said, such comments of Suranjit is disgraceful for an independent tribunal which will halt the trial procedures.
The tribunal also added that Suranjit does not have any authority to make such comments regarding the tribunal.
Suranjit has to explain, through a lawyer, ‘how’ and ‘on which ground’ he made the comments within the stipulated time.
Daily Amar Desh published a report in regarding the comment of Suranjit on Sunday.