iPhone explosion burns Australian man’s bum

iPhone explosion burns Australian man’s bum


An Australian man has suffered severe burns in his upper right thigh from an exploding iPhone that he bought six months ago.

Gareth Clear, a 36-year-old man from Bondi in New South Wales, was riding around on his bike on a Sunday afternoon when he accidentally fell and landed on his iPhone 6 causing it to explode and melt through his shorts.

He noticed smoke before hearing an explosion that burnt two layers of his skin on the upper right thigh, close to his bum. Clear later underwent a skin graft surgery at the Royal North Shore Hospital in Sydney and remained housebound.

He was hooked to a machine to prevent further infection and was expected to take weeks to recover, News Corp reports.

“I’m 36, I’ve had a mobile phone for 18 years of my life and for that thing to explode or short circuit and cause it to temporarily ignite. I could see the metal bending and all the lithium leaking out of the bottom end,” Clear said.

He added that Apple was investigating the matter while a spokesperson for the company contacted by News Corp had declined to comment on it reports AFP.


Comments are closed.