Jalalabad OC closed, 2 SIs suspended over Rajon murder

Jalalabad OC closed, 2 SIs suspended over Rajon murder


In the wake of widespread protests and demand for quick justice over the killing of teenage boy Rajon and kickback deal with the killers, punitive action has been taken against three police officers of Jalalabad Police Station for their negligence of duty.

Of them, officer-in-charge (Investigation) of the police station has been closed to the District Police Lines while its sub-inspectors Aminul Islam and Zakir Hossain suspended over the incident.The action was taken against them on Friday following the report of the probe panel formed by the Sylhet Metropolitan Police (SMP) to look into the allegations of negligence of duty by police and bribe taking over the gruesome murder of the teenage boy.

The three-member probe committee submitted its 424-page report to the SMP commissioner’s office on Thursday night, said ADC (Media) Mohammad Rahmatullah.

The SMP constituted the probe committee to investigate the allegations of negligence of duty of police during the killing incident, their economic deal with the killers and misbehaviour with the victim’s parents.

The probe body was formed on July 13 with Additional Commissioner SM Rokunuddin as its chief and Deputy Commissioner Mushfekur Rahman and Deputy Commissioner (South) Zedan Al Musa as its members. The committee was asked to submit its report within three days, but it failed to do so within the stipulated time.

Later, the time for submission of the probe report was extended by five days to July 23.

Earlier on Friday morning, Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan said no leniency will be shown to the policemen if they are found to be guilty.

“No one of those whose names have surfaced in the report (probe report) will be shown any leniency,” he said while talking to reporters at Osmani International Airport before leaving Sylhet for Dhaka.

On July 8, 13-year-old boy Sheikh Samiul Alam Rajon, son of Sheikh Azizur Rahman of Badeali village in Sadar upazila, was tortured to death over a theft charge at Sundar Ali Market in Kumargaon area of the city.

The killers themselves took the video footage of the incident and uploaded it on the internet.

The video clip went viral on social networking site Facebook and video-sharing site Youtube which triggered a widespread outcry.- UNB


Comments are closed.