Journo Probir Sikdar urges govt to ensure his 'safety'

Journo Probir Sikdar urges govt to ensure his ‘safety’


Dhaka – Fearing that he might be made disappeared, senior journalist Probir Sikdar has urged the Prime Minister to take immediate step to save his life, unb news agency reported.
He made the appeal in his Facebook status on Thursday saying, “Honourable Prime Minister and Bangabandhu’s daughter Sheikh Hasina, you please save my life immediately. I’m not seeking any mercy over the case filed against me. Even, I’m not worried over the case filed under section 57 in Faridpur and its chargesheet.” Voicing his confidence, Probir, editor of Bangla daily Bangla 71 and online news portal, said he will surely survive in his legal battle if the law and judiciary function independently.
“You please make sure so that no one can further harass me through false cases or make me disappeared after picking me up with fake identity of detectives in the name of grilling me,” he said pointing at the Prime Minister.
Justifying his apprehension, the journalist said only one lawyer is fighting the legal battle for him in Faridpur. “But, the lawyer has failed to collect the copy of the chargesheet of the case filed against me over the last three days. The honourable Prime Minister whom with I could share my agony other than you!”
Earlier on April 19, a Faridpur court accepted a chargesheet against Probir in a case filed under the Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Act, 2013.
On August 16 last year, he was arrested from his office in the city after Faridpur Awami League leader Swapan Kumar Paul had filed the case under the ICT Act as Probir in a post on his Facebook account said that his life was under threat and current Local Government and Rural Development Minister Khandkar Mosharraf Hossain and some others would be responsible if he was killed.
He was sent to jail the following day as he was produced before a court in the district. The journalist was also taken on remand for three days. Later on August 19, Probir was freed on bail.


Comments are closed.