Marion Cotillard has broken her silence over the divorce of Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, denying she played any part in the split.
The French actress addressed rumours in an Instagram post.
“Many years ago, I met the man of my life. He is my love, my best friend, the only one that I need,” she said. She also revealed she and her husband Guillaume Canet were expecting their second child.
The 40-year-old’s private life had been thrown in to the spotlight following the news that Jolie had filed for divorce on Monday, citing “irreconcilable differences”.
“This is going to be my first and only reaction to the whirlwind news that broke 24 hours ago and that I was swept up into,” Cotillard said.
“I am not used to commenting on things like this nor taking them seriously but as this situation is spiraling and affecting people I love, I have to speak up.
“Firstly, many years ago, I met the man of my life, father of our son and of the baby we are expecting. He is my love, my best friend, the only one that I need. “Secondly to those who have indicated that I am devastated, I am very well thank you. This crafted conversation isn’t distressing.
“And to all the media and the haters who are quick to pass judgment, I sincerely wish you a swift recovery. “Finally, I do very much wish that Angelina and Brad, both whom I deeply respect, will find peace in this very tumultuous moment. With all my love, Marion ”
Pitt told People magazine on Wednesday that he was “very saddened” that his marriage was over, saying “what matters most now is the well-being of our kids”.
It is understood Jolie is seeking physical custody of the couple’s six children and asking the judge to give Pitt visitation rights.
Her lawyer said the decision had been made “for the health of the family”.