Over 100 Bnp-men barred by threats from seeking UP election: Rizvi

Over 100 Bnp-men barred by threats from seeking UP election: Rizvi


BNP on Tuesday alleged that over a hundred of its candidates could not submit their nomination papers for the ensuing Union Parishad (UP) polls due to threats and obstruction by the ruling leaders and activists.
“So far, BNP candidates were threatened in over a hundred of Union Parishad in submitting their nominations. We came to know that party candidates could not submit their nomination papers in the face of threats by ruling partymen in many places,” said BNP joint secretary general Ruhul Kabir Rizvi.

Addressing a press conference at party central office, he said the emergence of character of destroying of election by the ruling party quarters has started from very beginning of submitting the nomination papers for the UP polls.
The BNP leader cited that party candidates in all the UPs under Chitolmari upazila, Baroipara, Dema, Bemorta and Khanpur of Sadar upazila of Bagerhat and different UPs in Jhalokathi, Khulna, Munshiganj and Satkhira could not submit their nomination papers yesterday, the last date for submission of nomination papers.
He further alleged that the candidates did not get any solution to the problems even they informed the local administrations.
“The government and the Election Commission are behaving like twin brothers,” he further alleged.
Abdus Salam and Asadul Karim, among others, were present on the occasion.
Meanwhile, addressing a discussion meeting, BNP vice chairman Maj (Retd) Hafizuddin Ahmed yesterday alleged that it is their habit going back to the Baksalite habit to speak against the editors.
“It is their old habit to speak against the editors; Baksalite habit,” he said while speaking the meeting organised by the Swadhinata Forum, a pro-BNP platform, at Jatiya Press Club.
His comments came a day after the prime minister criticised the Daily Star editor for his role following the 1/11 changeover.
“They (Then AL government) shut down the newspapers. Now, they are again hatching conspiracy to shutdown newspapers,” he alleged.
The former minister said only Mahfuz Anam acknowledged his mistake but others did not whereas AL leaders including Sheikh Fazlul Karim Selim, Abdul Jalil, Obaidul Quader made serious comments but no measures was taken against them.
Jagpa president Shafiul Alam Prodhan, Advocate Ahmed Azam Khan and Abu Naser Rahmatullah, president of the organisaiton, among others, also spoke on the occasion. – Staff Reporter


Comments are closed.