Report on BB reserve heist case deferred to Nov 29

Report on BB reserve heist case deferred to Nov 29

0

Dhaka – The Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (CMM) Court of Dhaka on Wednesday deferred the submission of the investigation report November 29 in the case filed connection with the theft of Bangladesh Bank reserves allegedly by hackers in February of 2016.Magistrate AKM Moinuddin Siddique fixed the new date as the report was not published yesterday on the 15th scheduled date of submission of the report.
The incident came to light when the Philippine’s ‘Daily Inquirer’ ran a report on February 29 that the country was probing a money laundering incident involving a cross-border electronic funds transfer. It said that US$ 101 million was wire-transferred on February 4 from the Bangladesh Bank’s US account to accounts in local banks. However, another report says that on February 5, cyber culprits removed eight crores 10 lakh US dollar from the Federal Reserve Bank of the United States. Later, an inquiry was conducted in the Philippines and so far Bangladesh got back one and a half crore dollar.
The BB allegedly kept the government and its board of directors in the dark about the heist for about a month. Finance Minister AMA Muhith reportedly first came to know about the incident only from media reports. After the heist, a probe committee was formed led by former Bangladesh Bank governor Farashuddin to investigate the incident. – Special Correspondent

Share.
Loading...

Comments are closed.