SP sees progress in N'ganj abduction-murder probe

SP sees progress in N’ganj abduction-murder probe


As the lawyers announced fresh programmes to press for the arrest and exemplary punishment of those involved in the seven murders, the police super here on Sunday claimed that there had been a marked progress in their investigation into the tragic incident.
“We’ve made a reveling progress in the investigation in the last two days. However, all the progresses are not visible,” said Dr Khandaker Muhid Uddin while addressing a press conference at his office at noon.He also said a total of 21 people have so far been detained and seven of them were shown arrested in connection with the abductions and killings of seven people, including and Narayanganj City Corporation panel mayor Nazrul Islam and senior lawyer Chandan Kumar Sarker.
The SP also said only 12 days are not enough to make any breakthrough in such a sensational murder case. Meanwhile, lawyers announced fresh programmes demanding the arrest and exemplary punishment of those who were involved in abductions and killings of the seven people.
The programmes were announced from a human chain formed on the court premises.
The programmes include staging one-hour work abstention from 9am-10am every workday, and forming human chain and bringing out procession every alternative day respectively from 12pm-1pm for an indefinite period.
The lawyers also demanded immediate implementation of a High Court rule asking the Inspector General of Police (IGP) for taking immediate steps to arrest three former Rab officials.
Following a writ petition, the High Court on Sunday issued the rule asking the Home Secretary for taking immediate steps to arrest three former Rab officials who had been dismissed for their jobs following allegations of their involvement in the killing of seven people in Narayanganj.
Three former Rab-11 officials — Lt Col Tarek Syeed Mahmud, Major Arif Hossain and Navy’s Lt Commander MM Rana — were sent on forced retirement following the allegations of their involvement in the killing of the seven people.
In another development, police arrested two more people from Noakhali district on Saturday night in connection with the seven killings.
The arrested are Mahibulla Masud, 35, the bodyguard of Nur Hossain, and his brother-in-law Samrat, 20. Later, a local court placed Mahibullah on a seven-day remand while Samrat on a two-day one.
Besides, the same court placed six other people who were arrested during a raid on Nur Hossain’s house on a five-day remand in connection with killing of the seven people.
They are Tanvir Ahmed alias Tanvir, Yeasin alias Shipon, Alamgir Hossain alias Alamgir, Shona Miah alias Imran, Jewel Ahmed Shaheen and Mizan.
On the other hand, Agriculture Minister Matia Chowdhury consoled the family members of the seven victims on Sunday.
Matia visited the houses of the victims and talked to the family members. Narayanganj Deputy Commissioner Anisur Rahman Miah, police super Dr Khandaker Muhid Uddin and Sadar UNO Gausul Azam accompanied the Minister.
The venue of the public hearing on the abductions and killings of the seven people has been changed. The probe body formed to investigate the involvement of Rapid Action Battalion in the incident will now hold the public hearing at Narayanganj Circuit House instead of the Deputy Commissioner’s office, said a PID handout.
The hearing will be held from 10am on May 12 and May 15.
Interested people are requested to be present at the Circuit House for giving their depositions during the public hearing.
The seven-member probe committee, headed by additional secretary of the public administration ministry Md Shahjahan Ali Mollah, will have to submit the progress report over the investigation to the High Court on May 15as per its direction.
Following a suo moto rule of the High Court, the Public Administration Ministry on Wednesday formed the probe panel. – UNB


Comments are closed.