Dhaka – Fazle Kabir, who took over as Governor of Bangladesh Bank on Sunday, said his first priority will be to recover its $81 million stolen money.
He came up the remarks while taking to reporters after taking over charge.
“My another duty will be to strengthen our IT (Information Technology) security system to prevent the recurrence of such hacking incident,’’ said the new governor.
He also told the journalists that he would determine his next after getting the report of the inquiry committee formed by the government over the heist.
“I’ll also try to restore confidence among officials of the Bangladesh Bank and the country’s people. I’ll also try to bring dynamism in their works,” the Governor added.
Responding to another question, he said the exclusive plans undertaken by the former governor will continue and he will take some additional plans.
Kabir, a former finance secretary, was appointed as the central bank governor following the resignation of Dr Atiur Rahman on March 15 amid a huge row over the heist of $101 million from the Bangladesh Bank’s account with the US Federal Reserve Bank.
Prior to his new appointment, he was the chairman of state-owned Sonali Bank.
Earlier last month, hackers swindled out over $100 million from the Bangladesh Bank’s account with the Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
The sensational heist surfaced after a Philippines newspaper published a report on it.