Student Moni held for running 'illegal' news portals: RAB

Student Moni held for running ‘illegal’ news portals: RAB


Members of Rapid Action Battalion (Rab) detained Enamul Haque Moni, a PhD student, from the city’s Airport Railway Station on Saturday on charges of hosting a number of online news portals illegally.

Moni was held from the railway station around 7:15 am on charges of operating around 20 Bangladeshi online news portals illegally from South Korea, said Superintendent of Police (SP) Moinuddin Faruque of Rab-2.“We’ve found his involvement in the illegal acts during an investigation carried out based on an allegation filed by Bangla daily Prothom Alo. The daily alleged that a vested quarter is involved duplicating its online contents illegally,” he said.
Enamul’s family said he was detained two days after the complaint of his missing was filed. Mohiuddin Faruqi said that he was arrested at 7.10 am in the morning from airport railway station. He was on a train in Khulna, but a night ticket of 12.45 am a ticket of Ishwardi was found from him.
In initial interrogation, it was known that Enamul Haq is the mastermind of copying contents of online newspapers.
RAB official Mohiuddin Faruqi said Enamul Haq copied at least 22 fake websites imitating Bangla Tribune, BBC Bangla and Prothom Alo. He used to buy domains by using a Master Card and used to build fake sites.
Enamul Haq studied at the Mymensingh Agricultural University and during her student year, he was involved in the politics of Chhatra Shibir. He went to Korea upon getting a scholarship. He used to conduct his operation from Korea.
A large circle in Bangladesh, Korea and Italy is involved in building these fake websites.
Mohiuddin Faruqui said that his family has created an abrasive drama to streamline the main fact. Rab mentioned that his family did not talk about the ransom in the GD or the ransom to us.
He has been sued in the digital security law, said RAB official.
When the family members complained about the allegations of abduction, RAB said they took a search for him in different places. His family knew we are looking for him so they wanted to keep us busy, but we have done our job.
Talking to his wife Nipa told this journalist that they were not aware of his detention. Officer in charge of Dakshin Khan police station told them at evening. Nipa also mentioned that they contacted RAB-1 and police station after his abduction.
Earlier, Enamul Haque Moni, 31, hailing from Radhanagar of Pabna Sadar Upazila, was scheduled to fly for South Korea at 1:00 am on Thursday went missing said his wife.
A General Diary has been lodged in this regard with Dakshin Khan Police Station, the following day.
According to Nipa, Moni started for Dhaka from his in-Law’s residence in Islampur of Jamalpur district by train on Wednesday and last talked to Nipa over the phone after Moni reached one of his friends’ residence at Ashkona, close to the Dhaka airport.
He went out of his friend Emdadul Haque Ronny’s house for the airport around 10:00 pm. Around 10:30 pm, one of his friends Shakil who is now in South Korea called Moni and he said he was near the airport gate, Nipa said quoting the friend. But after that, Moni’s mobile phone was found switched off, she claimed. Moni’s brother and brother-in-law soon reached Dhaka and filed the GD.
Moni completed his masters from Bangladesh Agriculture University of Mymensingh and went to South Korea in 2012 to complete his Phd from Kyungpook National University. – Staff Reporter
“Besides”, during the investigation, “We also found evidence that Moni is a central leader of Bangladesh Chhatra Shibir and used to deposit the earnings from running the illegal news portals to the party’s central fund,” SP Faruque added. Family members, however, earlier had claimed Moni went missing when he was going to Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport to catch a flight for South Korea, where he is pursuing his PhD degree, on Thursday night.

Contacted, Moni’s wife Nipa told UNB that her husband was scheduled to fly for South Korea at 1:00 am by a flight from the airport on Wednesday night.“He came out from a friend’s house in Ashkona area, near the airport, around 10:00 pm, but we found his mobile phone switched off around 10:35 pm,” she said.

A general diary (GD) was registered with Dakkhin Khan Police station on Thursday night after they failed to trace her husband, she added. Tapan Chandra, officer-in-charge of Dakkhion Khan Police Station, told UNB that he was informed that a team of Rab-2 detained Moni on some specific charges.

source: UNB


Comments are closed.