Sylhet stone quarry death toll rises to 6

Sylhet stone quarry death toll rises to 6

0

Sylhet, Feb 27 – Five workers were crushed to death and three others injured while extracting stones at a quarry in Kalairag area of Companiganj upazila on Sunday night.In Jaintiapur upazila, another worker died after he was critically injured in a similar incident yesterday morning.
After Sunday night’s incident, three of the workers’ bodies remained buried in the pit for hours.
The victims were Motiur Rahman, 30, Ruhul Amin, 22, Ashik Ali, 38, Atabur Rahman, 30, and Moyen Uddin, 32, said Dilip Kanti Nath, inspector of Companiganj Police Station.
In a Jaintiapur quarry, Delowar Hossain, 26, was critically injured in the morning and died hours later in a hospital, Moinul Jakir, officer-in-charge of Jaintiapur Police Station, said.
Two probe committees were formed to investigate the Companiganj incident.
The district administration formed a three-member probe body headed by Additional Deputy Commissioner Mohammad Abdullah while police formed a two-member probe committee headed by Additional Superintendent of Police Abul Hasnat.
The committees were asked to submit their reports in seven days. Police detained Abdur Rouf, who hired the workers forstone collection. As many as 16 workers died in the illegal quarries of Sylhet in the last two months.
Last year’s death toll in illegal quarries in Sylhet was 32.

Share.
Loading...

Comments are closed.