‘Ten million without water’ in Delhi as caste riot toll rises to 16

‘Ten million without water’ in Delhi as caste riot toll rises to 16


More than 10 million people in India’s capital are without water despite the army regaining control of its key water source after protests, officials say.
Keshav Chandra, head of Delhi’s water board, told the BBC it would take “three to four days” before normal supplies resumed to affected areas.
Jat community protesters demanding more government jobs seized the Munak canal, the city’s main water source.

Sixteen people have been killed and hundreds hurt in three days of riots.
Defiant India protesters stand ground in Haryana
Mr Chandra said that prior warnings meant that people had managed to save water, and tankers had been despatched to affected areas of the city, but that this would not be enough to make up for the shortfall.
Schools in the city were also closed after supplies from the canal were sabotaged during the protests.
The army took control of parts of the canal on Monday morning, but repairs are expected to take time.
Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal tweeted that the army was “trying to assess in how much time water would reach Delhi and whether any damage had been done to the canal”.
Protesters went on the rampage despite a curfew and the deployment of the army, which is reported to have opened fire on them in the districts of Rohtak and Jhajjar.
The violence forced the closure of several key roads and national highways, and paralysed the railway system in northern India.
Senior administration official PK Das told BBC Hindi that 16 people had died and about 300 were injured, among them several policemen.
After days of violence, the government in Haryana announced on Sunday that it would table a bill granting the demands of the Jat community in the state assembly.
Meanwhile, India’s federal government has said it will set up a top-level committee to look into the grievances of Jats. – BBC News


Comments are closed.