After the two children, now the father who was injured in the Uttara gas explosion on Friday died at the burn unit of Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH) on Saturday evening.Shahnewaz, 50, an employee of the US Embassy in Dhaka, succumbed to his injuries around 5:55pm, hospital sources said.
Earlier, Shahnewaz’s two sons — Shalil bin Newaz and Zaran bin Newaz — died at the hospital on Friday while undergoing treatment.
With 90 percent burns over her body, Shahnewaz’s wife Sumaiya was fighting for the life at the DMCH burn unit.
The entire house went up in flames after Shahnewaz lit up the gas stove in the kitchen of their 6th floor residence at Road-3 of Uttara Sector-13 on Friday morning, leaving five family members seriously injured.
The fire erupted from accumulated gas due to leakage in ‘gas line’.
The injured taken to the DMCH where Shalil and Zaran died on Friday evening.
Meanwhile, US Ambassador to Bangladesh Marcia Bernicat visited the injured at the DMCH in the afternoon.