At least nine members of a family received burn injuries in a fire that was broke out in Haq Bazar of Fatullah early Wednesday.
The injured are as Srinath Chandra Barman, 35, his wife Orchona, 28, daughters Anamika, 15, Arpita, 10, his mother Chaya Rani, 60, sister Sumitra, 34, Sumitra’s husband Narayan, 40, their sons Pramit, 14, and Shawon, 10.
The victims were admitted to the Burn Unit of Dhaka Medical College Hospital, said Sub-inspector Bacchu Miah, in-charge of the hospital police outpost, adding that the condition of the injured two was said to be critical. Abdullah Al Arefin, deputy assistant director of Narayanganj Fire Service and Civil Defense, said the fire broke out at the 2nd floor of 3-storey building around 5:30 am.
Hearing the screams, locals rushed in and rescued the victims, he said.The fire service official said the specific reason behind the fire incident could not be known immediately. “It was suspected that the fire originated from gas line leakage,” he added.
A fire service team reached the spot and was working to find out the actual reason behind the incident, he said.Victim Srinath said as soon as he woke up hearing ringtone around 5:30am, he spotted the fire and started screaming.He, however, said the fire might have been originated from a mosquito coil.