Johnson retires from international cricket

Johnson retires from international cricket


Fiery Australian fast bowler Mitchell Johnson Tuesday announced his retirement from all international cricket after the ongoing Test against New Zealand, joining a host of fellow veterans to recently call it quits.Renowned for his express pace, ferocious bounce and capacity to intimidate, the 34-year-old said in a statement ahead of the fifth day’s play at Perth’s WACA Ground: “I feel now is the best time to say goodbye.“It’s been an incredible ride. But the ride has to come to an end at some point and to do so here at the WACA is very special.”He follows Michael Clarke, Brad Haddin, Ryan Harris, Chris Rogers and Shane Watson into the sunset, who all upped stumps after the recent Ashes series against England.Speculation had been rife about Johnson’s future, with the bowler admitting last week that he thought about retirement “most days”.On his adopted home ground which has been the scene of some of his most lethal spells during a 73-Test career, the left-armer returned dismal figures of 1-157 in the first innings against New Zealand.His sole wicket moved him past Brett Lee and into fourth place on the all-time Test wickets list for Australia with 311. He sits behind Dennis Lillee (355), Glenn McGrath (563) and Shane Warne (708).

“I’ve given the decision a lot of thought,” said Johnson, who emotionally told his teammates at the conclusion of play on the fourth day.“Beyond this match, I’m just not sure that I can continue competing consistently at the level required to wear the baggy green.”After making his first class debut with Queensland in 2001, Johnson got his start in the Test team in 2007 before moving to Western Australia.His best haul was 8-61 against South Africa, at the WACA in 2008.Described by long-time mentor Lillee as a “once in a generation” bowler, the former ICC Cricketer of the Year also claimed 239 wickets in 153 one-day internationals.


Comments are closed.