News update
  • Myanmar: UN chief for urgent access as quake toll mounts     |     
  • AI’s $4.8 tn future: UN warns of widening digital divide      |     
  • Volker Turk warns of increasing risk of atrocity crimes in Gaza     |     
  • Ultimate goal is to join ASEAN as full member, says Dr Yunus      |     
  • South Korea President Yoon Suk Yeol removed from office      |     

All 68 prison guards suspended over Narsingdi Jailbreak

Police 2024-07-30, 10:40pm

jail-65f026d43888829dd504854e1b4391941722357627.jpg

Jail



Narsingdi, Jul 30 - All 68 prison guards were suspended in connection with the attack on Narsingdi District Jail leading to escape from jail inmates on July 19.

Quoting an order of the Security Services Division of the Ministry of Home, Tajwar Akram Sakapi Ibne Sazzad, Additional Deputy Commissioner of Narsingdi, said all the prison guards were suspended on Monday.

Earlier on July 23, Narsingdi district jailer Abul Kalam Azad was also suspended over the jail attack issue.

On July 19, a mob carried out an attack on the district jail, vandalized valuables, and looted 85 firearms and over 8, 015 rounds of bullets.

Taking advantage of the turmoil, 826 inmates including nine militants escaped.

On July 21, the district administration carried out publicity by loudspeakers asking the escaped inmates to surrender before the court. Responding to the call 575 inmates surrendered for the last 11 days till July 30.

On the other hand, 49 out of 85 looted arms and 1,091 rounds of looted bullets could be recovered. - UNB