Monday , January 27 2020
Home / Bangladesh / Probe injured schoolboy’s death for 3-hour late ferry
Probe injured schoolboy’s death for 3-hour late ferry
Ro-Ro-ferry at aricha

Probe injured schoolboy’s death for 3-hour late ferry

Dhaka, July 29 – The Shipping ministry on Monday formed a probe committee to investigate into the death of a sixth grader in an ambulance on a ferry.Reportedly, the ferry did not leave until a VIP came which delayed the ambulance from reaching the hospital on time at the Kathalbari Ferry Terminal on Thursday night for a government high official.
Shahnawaz Dilruba Khan, joint-secretary of the shipping ministry, will lead the two-member probe body, according to its press release issued yesterday.
The other member of the probe team is Deputy Joint-Secretary of the ministry Shah Habibur Rahman Hakim.
The press statement said that the named official Abdus Sabur Mandal is not an official of the ministry of shipping or such name of secretary or join secretary are not included the ministry.
It’s known that the VIP’s car had shipping ministry sticker. It’s known that he is a joint secretary at the PM’s office working in the A2I project.
The committee has been asked to submit report within seven days, informed shipping ministry senior information official Md Jahangir Alam Khan.
The probe committee’s subject will be – BIWTA’s (Bangladesh Inland Water Transport Authority) negligence in the death of the student on the ferry.
Meanwhile another probe committee was formed in Madaripur District. Additional district Magistrate Shahidul Haque will lead the four members committee.
The others members of the committee are Md. Asaduzzaman, UNO (Upazila Nirbahi Officer), Md. Abir Hossain, Additional Superintendent of Police, (Shibchar circle) and AKM Shajahan, AGM of Shimulia Feri Ghat. They committee also asked to submit report within seven days.
Earlier, on Wednesday Titash Ghosh, 13 a student of Kalia Pilot Secondary School in Narail, was critically injured in a motorbike accident in Narail on Wednesday evening.
A day later, the doctors referred him to Dhaka Medical College Hospital for an emergency operation.
On Thursday, the family with Titash in an ambulance was coming to Dhaka and arrived at the Kathalbari Ferry Terminal in Munshiganj around 8:00pm.
A ferry called “Ferry Comilla” was already at the pontoon but it had its gate closed and was not loading vehicles.
The family learnt that the ferry would be late as it was waiting for an additional secretary. – Staff Reporter