News update
  • CA’s rep visit Evercare to enquire about Khaleda’s health     |     
  • 2 killed as bus hits truck on Dhaka-Chattogram highway     |     
  • Chief Adviser seeks prayers for Khaleda Zia’s recovery     |     
  • Southeast Asia Floods Kill Over 250, Thousands Displaced     |     
  • Trump Vows to Halt Migration From ‘Third World’ Nations     |     

US Freezes Asylum Decisions After Troop Killing Sparks Crackdown

GreenWatch Desk: World News 2025-11-29, 10:29am

img-20251129-wa0001-91b1161d5d79dd1ce3778407233411d01764390572.jpg




The United States has suspended all asylum decisions as President Donald Trump intensifies his immigration crackdown following the deadly shooting of two National Guard members in Washington this week, allegedly carried out by an Afghan national.

One soldier died and another remains in critical condition after Wednesday’s attack near the White House. The incident has reignited political debate over migration, national security, and the legacy of the US withdrawal from Afghanistan.

Joseph Edlow, director of US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), said the agency has halted all asylum rulings “until we can ensure that every individual is vetted and screened to the maximum degree possible.”

This follows Trump’s announcement that the US will “permanently pause migration from all Third World Countries” to allow the system to “recover.” The Department of Homeland Security indicated that 19 countries already subject to travel restrictions since June fall under the expanded measures.

Secretary of State Marco Rubio said the US has also temporarily stopped issuing visas to anyone travelling on Afghan passports, citing national security concerns.

Deadly Attack Intensifies Political Pressure

The suspect, 29-year-old Rahmanullah Lakanwal, allegedly opened fire on the soldiers. He previously served in a CIA-backed force in Afghanistan and entered the US under a resettlement programme following the 2021 military withdrawal.

Jeanine Pirro, the US attorney for Washington DC, said Lakanwal will be charged with murder. Attorney General Pam Bondi has vowed to seek the death penalty, calling him a “monster.”

The soldiers, deployed as part of Trump’s anti-crime initiative, were identified as 20-year-old Sarah Beckstrom, who died from her injuries, and 24-year-old Andrew Wolfe, who remains in critical condition.

Immigration Measures Broaden

Trump further signalled plans to review “millions” of admissions granted during the previous administration. USCIS also announced it will reexamine green cards issued to nationals of the same 19 countries subject to travel restrictions.

More than 1.6 million green card holders — around 12 percent of the US total — come from these countries, including over 116,000 from Afghanistan.

Shawn VanDiver, president of AfghanEvac, criticised the sweeping measures, saying officials were using “a single violent individual as cover for a policy they have long planned.” He said Afghans admitted to the US underwent “some of the most extensive security vetting” of any migrant group.

Officials said Lakanwal had been living with his family in Washington state before driving across the country ahead of the attack.