Aedes aegypti mosquitoes have become popular again with the rains pouring down this season. These mosquitoes are responsible for spreading dengue, which is a severe fever causing a lot of muscle and bone pain. Each year, an estimated 400 million people are infected with dengue virus. About 100 million get sick. Outbreaks have occurred in Southeast Asia, the Western Pacific, the Eastern Mediterranean, the Americas, the Caribbean, and Africa. Dengue fever is more dangerous when it is also hemorrhagic, where the blood platelets become very low causing bleeding in the internal organs resulting in circulatory collapse.
These mosquitoes predominantly bite during the day. The cure for dengue prevails, but prevention of dengue is the best option.
Take Care of the Dengue Symptoms
Most people infected have mild or no symptoms. About 1 in 4 people infected with dengue will get sick. Mild symptoms of dengue may be confused with other illnesses that cause fever and flu-like illness. Most people will recover after about one week.
The most common symptoms are fever and one or more of the following:
* Eye pain (typically behind the eyes)
* Muscle, joint, or bone pain
* Nausea and vomiting
* Unusual bleeding (nose or gum bleed, small red spots under the skin, or unusual bruising)
If you think you may have dengue consult with your healthcare provider. Your doctor would suggest a blood test immediately when these symptoms of more than 2 or 3 coexist. In case of only fever, you will be given medication for a day, and blood test would be recommended if the temperature does not subside.
Recognize the warning signs: Severe dengue is an emergency.
* Warning signs: Watch for signs and symptoms of severe dengue to develop 24-48 hours after fever goes away.
* If you or a family member develops any of these warning signs, go to a local clinic or emergency room immediately:
* Severe stomach pain or vomiting (at least 3 vomiting episodes within 24 hours)
* Bleeding from the nose or gums
* Vomiting blood or blood in the stool
* Drowsiness or irritability
* Pale, cold, or clammy skin
* Difficulty breathing
No vaccine is available yet in Bangladesh. No specific medicine is available to treat dengue. Avoid infection by preventing mosquito bites. Dengue can be prevented with ease. There are many things you can do, and they are simple and very quick to do.
* Do not allow water stagnation. This is one of the areas where you need to double check. From the water stagnated around your house, to the flower vase, every water source has to be drained. Aedes aegypti a mosquito lay eggs only in clean water, and in water where organic waste like decayed leaves are present. So, ensure unwanted irrigation too is avoided. Also, if you have to store water in vessels for your home, keep it closed.
* Many people might not consider, but the broken buckets, coconut shells filled with water can be a threat. When left in the open, they can collect rainwater when it pours. So, they naturally become the place for these mosquitoes to breed.
* Keep the environment clean. All the drains should be checked for leaks. Before it rains, clean your terrace area.
* Rule out any chances of water stagnation in dirty pots in the garden. Check the chokes. Remove all wastes like plastic tires, broken utensils from the surroundings.
* Use mosquito repellants you are comfortable with. Some topical creams and gels can prevent mosquito bites. Use nets while sleeping, and ensure children are covered adequately. Some repellents can be used during the day and night with electricity sockets.
* Use coils in case of lack of power supply.
* Wear clothes that cover entirely, for instance, long-sleeved garments are better choices. Dark colored clothes can attract mosquitoes a lot. So, use clothes that are light in color.
* Do not venture into the very crowded residential area, especially the places where dengue breakout is the maximum. Try taking home remedies that can improve the immunity
* Children under the age of 12 years and pregnant women need to be more cautious as the symptoms are more severe for
In short, to prevent dengue, you have to be careful and vigilant. Do not allow any defective grounds as you cannot afford to be lazy and procrastinating.