
At least six children have died from measles and measles-like symptoms across the country in the past 24 hours, according to the Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS).
Of the latest deaths, three were confirmed measles cases, while the other three were reported with symptoms consistent with the disease, the DGHS Health Emergency Operation Centre and Control Room said on Wednesday.
With these new fatalities, the total number of confirmed measles deaths since March 15 has reached 80. During the same period, 401 people have died with suspected measles symptoms.
DGHS data shows that 138 new confirmed cases were reported in the last 24 hours, bringing the total number of confirmed infections nationwide to 8,067.
During the same period, 1,270 new suspected cases were recorded, raising the overall tally of suspected infections to 57,856 since March 15.
Health authorities said 45,128 suspected measles patients have been admitted to hospitals so far, of whom 41,120 have recovered and been discharged.
Officials added that the rising number of infections is putting increasing pressure on healthcare facilities, particularly in areas with low vaccination coverage.