News update
  • Nearly 13m displaced people at health risk for funding cuts     |     
  • Sustained support must to prevent disaster for Rohingya refugees     |     
  • UN rights chief condemns extrajudicial killings in Khartoum     |     
  • BNP stance on reforms: Vested quarter spreads misinfo; Fakhrul     |     
  • New Secy-Gen Shirley Botchwey pledges to advance Co’wealth values in divided world     |     

"No new areas flooded after opening of Farakka Barrage gate"

Special Correspondent Flood 2024-08-27, 6:23pm

farook-adviser-6b0d82e1a2435d186ce88d74396f1e9e1724761407.jpg

Water is likely to recede quickly in the areas that are being flooded again: Adviser



Dhaka, Aug 27 - Disaster Management and Relief Adviser Farooq-e-Azam said on Tuesday, no new areas have been flooded after India opened 109 gates of the Farakka Barrage when parts of the country are reeling from catastrophic flood.

He came up with the information while briefing the media at the joint press conference of the ministry and the armed forces about the current situation of the ongoing flood at the Secretariat. 

The adviser said, the government is working in coordination with all concerned  in relief distribution. 

Initiatives have been taken to transport relief to the places from where the water is receding.

In many cases, the Army and other forces are reaching relief through helicopters in more remote areas. 

So far, relief has reached all the remote upazilas and medical care has been ensured, he added.

“We expect the running water will recede quickly in the areas that are being flooded again. We will be able to complete the relief activities smoothly. People's enthusiasm are giving us strength,” the adviser said further.-UNB