News update
  • 90pc of 3Mt annual e-wastes not recycled, cause health hazards in BD     |     
  • UNGA backs historic World Court climate crisis ruling     |     
  • Air France, Airbus found guilty of manslaughter over 2009 jet tragedy      |     
  • Navy, Coast Guard are working to protect security of sea - Navy Chief     |     
  • Call agriculture national profession: Krishak Oikya Foundation     |     

US intercepts multiple attack drones launched from Yemen: Pentagon

GreenWatch Desk World News 2023-11-23, 11:35am

image-159706-1700717231-b4ef376be0a28b0a5ef9fe3bc80621231700717773.jpg




A US warship patrolling the Red Sea intercepted multiple attack drones launched from Huthi-controlled areas in Yemen on Thursday, the US Central Command said.

"On the morning (Yemen time) of November 23, the USS Thomas Hudner (DDG 116) shot down multiple one-way attack drones launched from Houthi controlled areas in Yemen," CENTCOM said on X, previously Twitter.

"The ship and crew sustained no damage or injury," it added.

The Huthis have declared themselves part of the "axis of resistance" of Iran's allies and proxies and have launched a series of drones and missiles towards Israel after the start of the war in Gaza.

The Huthis have also threatened to target Israeli shipping over the country's war with Islamist militant group Hamas, which is backed by Iran's clerical leadership.

On Sunday, Huthi rebels seized an Israel-linked cargo vessel and its 25 international crew at the entrance to the Red Sea, reports BSS.

Israel's military on Sunday said the seizure was a "very grave incident of global consequence", and a US military official said it was "a flagrant violation of international law".