The statement came in the wake of US President Donald Trump's recent remarks, where he called for direct negotiations on Iran’s nuclear program while threatening military action if diplomacy fails.
Iran, however, has made it clear that it will not engage in talks under the pressure of threats. "The Islamic Republic of Iran wants dialogue on equal footing," Pezeshkian said, according to the Iranian presidency’s website.
Trump, earlier in the week, reiterated his preference for direct talks with Iran, arguing that they would be faster and more effective than going through intermediaries.
In response, Pezeshkian questioned the logic behind diplomacy when threats are involved: "If you want negotiations, then what is the point of threatening?" He went on to criticize US actions, stating that America is "not only humiliating Iran, but also the world," a comment likely referring to Trump's policies, including the imposition of tariffs on imports.
The US, along with Western allies, has long accused Iran of attempting to develop nuclear weapons, a claim Tehran consistently denies, asserting its nuclear program is for peaceful, civilian purposes.
Meanwhile, Hossein Salami, the head of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), made a bold statement about the country's military stance. "We are not worried about war at all. We will not be the initiators of war, but we are ready for any war," Salami said in remarks reported by the official IRNA news agency.
In 2015, Iran and the permanent members of the UN Security Council, including the US, signed the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), which sought to curb Iran's nuclear program in exchange for sanctions relief. However, the United States unilaterally withdrew from the agreement in 2018 under Trump, reinstating harsh sanctions on Iran.
Since then, Iran has scaled back its commitments under the deal, accelerating its nuclear activities. Iranian officials have repeatedly warned that while the country does not seek nuclear weapons, it would have no choice but to pursue them if attacked.
Ali Larijani, a senior adviser to Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, stated on Monday that Iran would "have no choice but to do so" if it faces military aggression, reaffirming Tehran's stance on self-defense.
As tensions mount, the global community watches closely, hoping for a resolution, but wary of the potential consequences of continued escalation.