News update
  • New Secy-Gen Shirley Botchwey pledges to advance Co’wealth values in divided world     |     
  • C. A. Dr. Yunus’ China Tour Cements Dhaka-Beijing Relations     |     
  • Myanmar quake: Imam's grief for 170 killed as they prayed in Sagaing     |     
  • Eid Tourism outside Dhaka turning increasingly monotonous      |     
  • China visit a ‘major success’ for interim government: Fakhrul     |     

WHO warns Covid still a threat

GreenWatch Desk Disease 2024-01-11, 8:52am

download-fd456406745d816a45cae554c788e7541704941611.jpeg




Almost 10,000 Covid-19 deaths werereported in December, the WHO said on Wednesday, as it warned the virusremained a major threat despite partially passing under the radar.

The World Health Organization said data from various sources pointed toincreased transmission last month, fuelled by gatherings over the Christmasholiday period and by the JN.1 variant, which is now the most commonly-reportedaround the globe.
"Although Covid-19 is no longer a global health emergency, the virus isstill circulating, changing, and killing," the UN health agency's chief TedrosAdhanom Ghebreyesus said.
Besides the near 10,000 deaths reported to the WHO last month, there was a42 percent increase in hospitalisations and a 62 percent increase in intensivecare unit admissions, compared with November.
However, the figures are based on data from less than 50 countries --mostly in Europe and the Americas, Tedros said.
"It is certain that there are also increases in other countries that arenot being reported.
"Just as governments and individuals take precautions against otherdiseases, we must all continue to take precautions against Covid-19.
"Although 10,000 deaths a month is far less than the peak of the pandemic,this level of preventable death is not acceptable."
Tedros urged governments to maintain virus surveillance and sequencing, andto ensure access to affordable and reliable tests, treatments and vaccines.
"And we continue to call on individuals to be vaccinated, to test, to wearmasks where needed and to ensure crowded indoor spaces are well ventilated," hesaid.
Tedros declared an end to Covid-19 as an international public healthemergency in May 2023, more than three years on from when the virus was firstdetected in Wuhan, China, in late 2019, reports BSS.